Monday, December 6, 2010

The Light of the World

As a child, I sang the song, "This Little Light of Mine."  As I sing it now, it sounds like shining my little light is an option.  Actually since I've invited Jesus into my heart and life, it is no longer optional to be the light because I am now the light.  Jesus said, "You are the light of the world.  A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl.  Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."  Matthew 5:14-16 NIV 
Jesus even prayed for His glory to be in us in the Garden of Gethsemane as recorded in John 17.  This has confused me because He says in Isaiah 42:6-8 that He will not give His glory to another.  Well He is not giving His glory to us, but imparting His glory in us so that the world will know that Father sent Him.  John 17:23.  So we are not receiving an impartation of His glory and light to show ourselves, but to reflect Him.  He is the source of light as Psalm 104:2 says, "He wraps himself in light."
The world is dying, people are dying.  The world needs our light which is His light.  They depend on it even if they do not know it.  We must do what we see Father doing just as Jesus taught.  If we are the only Jesus that some people see, what does that look like?
What is tarnishing your mirror?  Perhaps it is drunkenness or sexual impurity or one of those obvious "big sins."  Well the truth is that all sin is sin, so how about gossip, lust, selfishness, anger.  The book of Romans shares many things that would tarnish the reflection of God's light, but goes on to show redemption and righteousness.  In Leviticus 11:44-45; 20:7,26; I Peter 1:15-16 God tells us to, "Be holy, because I am holy."  We need to be a reflection of His holiness, His glory, His light.
In this season of light, remember that you are light.  If you are single, reflect him in your singleness.  If you are married, reflect Him in a godly marriage.  Pronouncing Jesus as your savior has turned you into a reflection of Him.  You can be a dim reflection or you can radiate.  Even when I am depressed, grumpy, or whatever, I am a reflection of Jesus Christ in the eyes of others.  Whether I give others a clear picture of His true light is my challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment