Friday, March 11, 2011

Freely Give

Matthew 10:7-8   7 "As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give."  Jesus shared this with His disciples just after calling them.  So many times I have heard this in my head or somewhere in a teaching.  The part I hear is freely you have received, so freely give.  I didn't give it much more thought.  I took it for a generosity scripture.  Jesus was commissioning His disciples to go out in His name.  The context is not just in possessions, but I'm sure that is not completely wrong to think of it in that light.  The items listed in vs 8 are signs and wonders.  Tell them the Kingdom is at hand and then go out them and perform miracles.  You have received them, so give them away.  
It is His desire that we follow Him and do what He does.  He did what He saw Father doing.  These verses tell the what while the following verses tell the how.  Jesus expected His disciples to succeed and He gave them a demonstration and a few chances to get it right.
This is something I've pondered into this night.  I've made up excuses of why this doesn't pertain to me today, but they are just excuses.  Again I say, "I am Yours, God.  Do with me as you wish."

No comments:

Post a Comment